Saturday, March 30, 2013

Coconut Macaroons


This is by far my best batch of coconut macaroons ever! And just in time for Passover! I used finely grated coconut rather than the long, thickish strands of sweetened coconut. I know this helps with shaping and you don't end up with stray strands sticking out of the bottom edges of the cookie that brown first. I think that helped. The other thing that helped (and this is the big thing) is my new method for shaping them. I packed the eggy coconut tightly into a small ice cream scoop--one of the springy ones, so that I could get the perfectly packed mounds out without messing up the lovely shape. I think the firmly packed heaps of coconut browned evenly because they were packed and shaped evenly. Of course they tasted delicious as always, the texture was perfect (lighter than the traditional Manischewitz ones but still nice and moist with that distinctive coconutty chewiness) and they just looked so lovely and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment